Wednesday, March 26, 2014

New Work: Gaming Assemblage Series

They say that art imitates life, but I'm not so sure. I've heard various interpretations of the old saying over the years: none of them seem to hold up very well under scrutiny. More often I think that life imitates art, especially if I've been keeping up with the social networks. 

That being said, though, I will admit that life certainly creeps into art. An artist's work tends to reflect the things she immerses herself in outside of the studio. A poet who rides, for instance, will come back to horses and horsemanship as a motif, over and over. A painter who loves antiquity will paint Greek scenes, over and over. And so on.

It happens to me all the time. Right now, my husband and I spend most of our free time playing board games; this new series was inevitable, really. 

These are a few representative pieces from the assemblage series I've been working on for the past couple of months. Thanks (a BIG thanks!) to my friends from West Seattle Board Games, they all include gaming components in some way.

Of course they do. 




This one's called "Storm Mage" and it's my favorite. 




"This Way" is a little sleeker, more contemporary. I like how the duochrome finish developed. 






The piece to the right is called "Blue Machine," and it was showcased in the lobby show at the recent Open House event at my studio space, Inscape Arts. I plan to do more of the monochrome "Machine" pieces; I like working almost entirely with texture and line.

No comments:

Post a Comment